2020. március 16., hétfő

Part 1: The beginning.

Thank you for tuning in and joining us on this adventure. The first four weeks of our 12 week series in Buffalo went by in no time. I started my rotation with OBGYN and worked alongside Dr. S.M.
Now let’s talk a little bit about our life in Buffalo. I am very fortunate to have such a great group here with me. Obviously everyone is Hungarian, but two of us are also American and one is Canadian which makes a very fun and interesting dynamic. On the very first weekend here we prepared the apartment for our liking. We cleaned, rearranged furniture, and embarked on a long shopping spree in Walmart. As an American at heart I was so happy to be back in an American grocery store seeing all the brand food names I grew up on! Finally, after a solid 18 hours we finally called the new place: HOME
The following weekend Dr. L.M took us to go apple picking at Becker Farms. There was an event there held by DENT. We had the opportunity to eat real American barbeque food! Oh, how I have missed that so much! We then all got on a wagon that was driven by a tractor trailer and we were off to the apple farms. We looked up at the sky and it started to become dark and cloudy. We knew the rain was upon us, so we had to rush rush rush to fill up our baskets! As being a short one, I could only grab the apples near the bottom of the tree but my tall roommates helped me out! They pulled the higher leaves down, so I could jump up and grab the apples! We worked great as a team! In the end we arrived back home with about 50 apples to eat! It took us approximately 4 weeks to finish all the apples, but they were so good and juicy all the way to the last apple!

And then it was finally time for the Niagara Falls Marathon!!!!!!!! No, I am not a runner, BUT I am a really good cheerleader! Julia spent months training for the Marathon and it was finally the
day! The marathon started at UB (very close to the apartment) and ended at the Canadian side of the Niagara Falls! My friend was supposed to drive me up to the falls so we could cheer her on when she finished, however last minute her car broke down and she didn’t have her passport! BUT that didn’t stop me! I was determined to be there! I called a Lyft (it’s like uber) and was dropped off at the American side of the Rainbow Bridge. Unfortunately you can’t cross borders with these car services. I then walked across the bridge, and entered Canada on foot! And there I was, at the end of the race cheering Juli on when she finished!!!!! She was so shocked to see me there! After some cool down, we walked down this really weird street near the falls. I believe it’s called Centre St, and found a lovely restaurant to sit outside and munch on carbs after the big run!
Now, let me get into my Obstetrics and Gynecology rotation with Dr. S.M. It was by far one of the best rotations I have ever had. It was so hands on, and informative. I really felt like a team member and that I was a huge part of the patient care. I was able to see/do so much from annual visits, to insertions of IUDs, to multiple deliveries, circumcisions and a wide variety of surgeries! I believe my favorite surgery I watched was a hysterectomy done with the DaVinci Robot. I got the opportunity to sit in the second unit and watch from the same view that Dr. S.M was working from. It was so fascinating how these tiny movements could perform a huge operation and the patient is left with minimal scaring! What I enjoyed the most out of the entire OBGYN rotation was the fact you are part of the direct patient care and can build relationships with your patients, and then you also have the opportunity to be in the OR and hospital!
Our average day after rotation included all coming home and talking about all the very exciting things we had seen that day and done! We all sat around the kitchen table avidly discussing the day. It was usually followed by dinner and spending the evening studying. It was either reviewing what we learned on our rotations, preparing for our next exams, or the most fun: writing our thesis! Almost every night, or every other night, we would all go down to the gym located downstairs on the M floor! It was a great way to end our evenings, and we would all head to bed in an effort to wake up well rested the next day!
I forgot to mention the most important part! We were greeted by a lovely house guest upon our arrival. Not everyone was intrigued by him, and slightly even rude, but I found him to be a delight. He may be gutless, but on the bright side he has a spine. On many weekends, when Monika and Nora went home, and Julie was off training for the marathon he provided me great company. I might even say some romance began. He really helped out proof-reading my thesis, and offering me great advice! Have a look (:
Tune in for part 2 of my adventure! 
Veronica Frank









Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése